During this process there are several opportunities in which you need something, a tool, that helps you find and do things quickly, and perhaps an IDE is an overkill when you have several things opened. So there's the shell, and with it, a lot of applications.
Normally these are the tools I most use during my daily work:
- find - Whenever you wanna search files by name and many other options, it's mandatory.
$> find /opt/projects -iname *report.html
- grep - Excellent tool to search patterns and strings within files
4> grep -nHr --include="*.log" "ERROR" /opt/servers/logs/
- tmux - Multiple SSH connections are not a problem anymore, just install tmux and create sessions within a single SSH connection.
- tar - Mandatory tool for packaging and compressing data
- watch - Lets you execute a command or script within a defined interval, helpful for monitoring things
- xargs - Pipelines!!, who doesn't use them!? with this utility you can easily pass output data to another application
$> hg missing | xargs hg rm